Game Idea Research

The game idea I have decided to expand upon, and that I shall be discussing mechanics for is my horror idea.


Game Mechanic 1: Running


Running is without a doubt a necessary mechanic for a horror game. Running will be an essential form of movement in the game to help escape any possible dangers that appear, which is why I plan to focus on it being one of the core forms of movement, though I'm deciding whether to make the player in a constant run or if I should dedicate a button to allow the player to choose when to sprint. If I implement a sprint button, I'll make it a limited sprint so the player can't completely outrun the danger, meaning that they'll have to use the sprint wisely.


Game Mechanic 2: Inventory/Collection

Another key mechanic I would like to add to my game would be an inventory for the items collected, which will be used later to open new pathways.


The Resident Evil is a franchise which uses it's inventory system to great effect, and I hope to use something in similar spirit to it. This video tutorial, Unity 3D - Scriptable Object Inventory System | Part 1, by Coding With Unity will be a great starting off point for helping me create an easily useable inventory for the player during gameplay.

Game Mechanic 3: Hiding


For my last mechanic I want to make a hiding system for the player if they lose their limited sprint, as long as the enemy can't see them and they are near a hiding spot, they'll have a chance to escape from that chase. This will take a lot of time and effort to create as I'd have to create an AI capable of searching so I change it to more scripted sections so the enemy will follow and search a select path instead of searching multiple areas decided by itself. If I plan to make an AI to search from what I've seen, AI Game Engine Programming (2nd Edition) by Brian Schwab and Game AI Pro by Steven Rabin seem like highly recommended books to follow in order to help create a functioning AI capable of searching for the player.

Comments

  1. Hey Brandon, I’m about to drop some feedback on your project, so be ready!

    First of all, I think that theses game ideas are very fundamental to the horror game genre. They are the basic building blocks that all the other experiences are built off. I can see potential in them! The hiding mechanic in particular seems to be an idea that can create many horrifying and thrilling experiences! I’m just saying you should invest in that mechanic if you’re choosing to do a horror game.

    Another thing that seems cool is the inventory system. I think that it’s a good component of horror games. I’m just wondering if you’ll be able to implement a system like that into your game on time. For this small game that we’re making, do you need to create an inventory system?

    One final thing. What if we change the sprint mechanic? What if you’ll be able only to sprint when you feel you’re in danger? That sounds like an interesting mechanic.

    Anyways, good luck with the game! !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts